About a month and a half ago, I applied for a part-time
reference librarian position at a nearby public library.  A week later, I
received a call and participated in a phone interview. That seemed to go well,
and a week later I went in for an in-person interview.  That also went fairly well, and then I didn't hear anything for a long time.  A couple weeks later, I called to see if the position had been filled, but got no answer.  The next day I was informed the the H.R. person had had surgery the day after my interview, and was going to be out of the office for an indeterminate amount of time.  Another week went by, and I called them back, only to learn that the H.R. person had quit during the hiring process, and that they hoped they would be making a decision by the end of the week. They ended up getting ahold of me the next day and offering the reference position to me. I got the job.

Despite the clusterfuck of a hiring process (I was assured this was not how they usually run), I started my training this week.  I'll be splitting my hours between two different branches, both of which are about the same distance away from where I live. My schedule is fairly consistent, though there is this every third Friday and every third weekend (on different rotations) bit that is going to be tricky. Add to that the fact that I'm keeping my old community college library job, and I have a feeling I'm going to get very worn out, very quickly.  I'm thinking about taking up coffee-drinking. I've always preferred tea, but somehow I just don't think that's going to cut it when I have to work from 7am-9pm on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Despite all, I think I'm going to really like this new job, and will probably detail exactly how much in future posts.

Onto the next order of business, I received a new car this week from my worrisome grandparents.  My old car (a '92 Chevy Lumina) breaks down all the time and takes about a half an hour to start in the winter if it starts at all. Add onto that the cracked windshield, no A/C in the summer, no cruise control, no bright lights, speakers that crack beyond belief, a leaky trunk, a dying differential, a back wheel that sounds something like a train chugging along, and a non-opening driver's side door, I had my hands full.  There was no way I could ever afford another vehicle on the salary I make.

Silver-impala (Note: Not my actual car, but one very nearly like it.)

Enter the '04 Chevy Impala, a nice silver color.  Not only does it improve on all of the unfortunate aspects of the Lumina, but it also has a cd player (score!), remote locks (OMG how did I ever live without them!?), and cupholders.  Also? Only about 64,000 miles on it.  It was only bought so cheaply (a few thousand) because the man who was selling it was out of a job and only had $300 to his name.  And while I feel slightly bad about having taken advantage of this man's situation, I am glad to not have to climb over the center console to get in and out of my car.  Words cannot truly express my joy.

Lastly, I'm sure the two readers I had are well aware that I haven't written anything in about a month and a half.  Knowing that if I didn't start up again, this blog would go the way of 98% of blogs in the world, I've decided to participate in NaBloPoMo this November.  Basically, it means I am going to post every day for the month of November in the hopes of jumpstarting my blogging again. I'm not signing up to officially be a member (they don't just do it for the month of November anymore), but nonetheless, I will be pushing myself to do the postings.  Some of these postings will inevitably be made from my Blackberry, so we'll see how that goes (I'm not sure if it will screw with the formatting or not).  At any rate, you can expect another post from me by Sunday night, at the latest.